1. About the organisation
The position is based at Plan Bleu, the Regional Activity Centre of the Mediterranean Action Plan (MAP), established as a french association (law 1901) in Marseille. The MAP system is one of the main components of the Regional Seas Programme of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP). It has a legal instrument, the Barcelona Convention, and is supported by six regional activity centres (the “RACs”), which are responsible for promoting the implementation of the various protocols attached to the Convention. Plan Bleu is one of the six centres mandated by the twenty-one Contracting Parties to the Barcelona Convention and the European Commission to:
- act as an observatory for the environment and sustainable development in the Mediterranean;
- carry out thematic, systemic and prospective analyses likely to enlighten stakeholders and decision-makers in the region about environmental risks and sustainable development issues.
Plan Bleu is responsible for monitoring the implementation of the Mediterranean Strategy for Sustainable Development (MSSD).
2. Purpose and missions:
Within the framework of its two-year work plan approved by the UNEP/MAP Contracting Parties, Plan Bleu carries out thematic projects in the Mediterranean, in line with one of the work areas. These projects may be co-financed by European funds or other donors (e.g. development agencies, foundations). The projects in which Plan Bleu participates require specific leadership, coordination and follow-up with numerous associated partners, while mobilising Plan Bleu’s in- house expertise. Reporting to the “Green and Blue Transitions” Unit, the Programme Manager will ensure that projects relating to sustainable tourism are properly implemented, that they are coordinated with all the partners and that the timetable for delivery of the deliverables is met. She/he will aim to capitalise on project experiences in a cross-disciplinary approach that will feed into public policies, work on innovative methods and tools to encourage the consideration of environmental and sustainable development concerns at the various territorial levels and assess the effectiveness of the policies adopted in this area. In this context, she/he will be required to draft policy briefs and reports and represent Plan Bleu at meetings of experts in connection with these projects. She/he may also be required to co-organise international events.
The Programme Manager is also actively involved in identifying new projects and seeking funding. The tasks and associated deliverables are as follows:
|Missions / Contributions
|Participate in or lead studies and projects relating to sustainable tourism
|Participation in working groups
Supervision of consultants, drafting of Terms of Reference
Technical and financial reporting
|Contribute to thematic work on sustainable tourism
Contribute to the collection and analysis of regional data and information on thematic policies
|Drafting of policy briefs, reports, contribution to PB publications
Contributions to UNEP/MAP reports (reporting activities)
Contributions to the continuous improvement of the PB website
|Organization / Animation
|Participation in roundtables, expert workshops and project meetings organised by Plan Bleu and/or its partners.
|Summaries of discussions, conclusions and recommendations
International workshops/conferences (virtual or face-to-face)
|Participate in the communication activities of PB
Maintain contacts with PB and project partners
Develop new partnerships and contacts
3. Responsibilities in terms of quality, safety and the environment
The successful candidate will be responsible for complying with the legal, regulatory and collective bargaining provisions in force, and in particular with internal operating procedures. The successful candidate will also be responsible for complying with the safety rules set out in the internal regulations. In accordance with the association’s corporate purpose, the successful candidate will be responsible for ensuring that the quality, safety and environment of the company’s operations are respected.
4. Hierarchical links and working environment:
The Programme Officer reports to the Head of the Plan Bleu “Green and Blue Transitions” Unit. The main contact are :
– internally, all the Plan Bleu experts;
– externally, his/her counterparts in national, regional and international organisations, and the scientific and institutional partners concerned by the missions.
5. Skills and experience required :
– Master’s degree or equivalent related to sustainable development
– Minimum 5 years’ experience in sustainable tourism
– At least 5 years’ experience of EU-funded projects (e.g. Interreg Euro-Med), responding to calls for projects
– Experience in managing consultants, minimum 5 years
– Strong conceptual, writing and synthesis ability
– Good knowledge of sustainable development stakeholders in the Mediterranean
– IT: proficiency in the Google suite, video conferencing tools (zoom, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams), knowledge of Basecamp would be a plus
– Languages: Fluency in French and English is a must. Knowledge of another Mediterranean language would be appreciated (Italian, Spanish a plus).
– Ability to work in a team, good communication and interaction with the team
– Open-mindedness and flexibility
6. Commitments related to the position:
Given the regional nature of Plan Bleu’s work, the position involves travel to countries around the Mediterranean. The position is based in Marseille, with the possibility of working 2 days a week from home.
7. Job classification and remuneration:
The position is governed by a French private law contract. Gross annual salary ranges between €40k and €45k (including meal vouchers, transport allowance, health insurance, end-of-year bonus equivalent to a 13th month pro rata temporis).
Deadline for this vacancy: 19 February 2024
Please send a CV and cover letter, as well as recent publications or work, to the following address: [email protected]
The selection procedure may include interviews (remote if necessary), and a pre-selection phase followed by requests for further information if necessary.