Context and objectives
This consultation is published by Plan Bleu, Regional Activity Center of the Mediterranean Action Plan (MAP), established in the form of a French association in Marseille, France. The MAP is one of the main components of the Regional Seas Program of the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP). It has a legal instrument: the Barcelona Convention and relies on six regional activity centres (“RACs”) responsible in particular for promoting the implementation of the various protocols attached to the convention. Plan Bleu is one of these six centres mandated by the twenty-one countries Parties to the Barcelona Convention and the European Union (Contracting Parties to the Barcelona Convention). Plan Bleu acts as an observatory of the environment and sustainable development in the Mediterranean, and conducts thematic, systemic and prospective analyses to enlighten decision-makers of the region on the environmental risks and the challenges of sustainable development.
Plan Bleu cooperates with MedPAN, the Mediterranean Protected Areas Network, in the framework of their Regional Experience Sharing Workshop on Tourism in MPAs to be held in Hyeres, France from 28-30 November 2023. Plan Bleu is part of the Steering Committee and provides technical support to the organisation of this event.
The short assignment described in these terms of reference concern the facilitation/animation and preparatory work of a session that Plan Bleu will co-facilitate in the framework of the “MedPAN Regional Experience Sharing Workshop on Tourism in MPAs”.
The objective of the present call for applicants is to select an expert to support the preparatory work and to support the Plan Bleu team in facilitating a session on Tourism and MPAs during the MedPAN Regional Experience Sharing Workshop on Tourism in MPAs.
The specific objectives are:
- Prior to the meeting:
- To support the preparatory work by supporting the finalisation of the agenda, support setting the overarching target of the session and develop the methodology.
- To attend the organisation and coordination meetings with the Plan Bleu team to agree on the objectives of the session, the targeted questions that the session should address, as well as the outcomes expected from the session.
- To support the communication team with inputs to support framing PPTs, quotes, key messages and others, to be linked to the communication strategy.
- During the event: Support the facilitation of the session by taking notes and recording the “Minutes” of the discussion
- After the event: Draft a summary report summarising the main achievements of the event with the support of minutes taken during the event.
The total duration of the contract is 10 days.
Travel costs to the event will be covered by Plan Bleu and do not need to be considered in the economic proposal for this consultancy.
Selection of the expert
Plan Bleu is seeking a seasoned consultant with strong interpersonal skills and previous experiences in preparing and facilitating events. The following criteria will be assessed:
- Masters or PhD or equivalent degree in policy and/or environmental studies
- Previous relevant experience in preparing and facilitating events
- Previous relevant experience on tourism issues and the environment in the Mediterranean
- Experience in the Mediterranean region strongly desired and a good knowledge of actors and governance processes in Mediterranean countries
- Strong conceptual and synthesis ability combined with good english writing and communication skills
- Ability to mobilise information and existing knowledge in an efficient way
- Fluency in English as well as proven technical writing skills is required.
The selection of the expert will be done based on a presentation of a technical offer, an economic offer, as well as a letter of interest and a resume making reference to these Terms of Reference
Contractual and financial terms
The acceptance of the offer of the successful tender will implicate the acceptation of the conditions and schedules detailed in this ToR.
A duly-issued invoice will be required for payment at the presentation of the final document. The payment term for the invoice will be by bank transfer 15 days after the invoice date (bank account details should be detailed).
The tax legislation in force at the date of acceptance of the offer will be applied.
How to apply
- Applications must be submitted by 20 September 2023
- Applications must be submitted through Plan Bleu website: www.planbleu.org and by e-mail at: [email protected]
- Applications must contain a technical offer, an economic offer (in Euros) including VAT if needed, as well as a letter of interest and a resume making reference to these Terms of Reference.