The consultancy will contribute to implementing the Sustainable Development Goal 14 (SDG 14) in the Mediterranean by promoting the mainstreaming of promising innovations in Blue Economy, into public policies and private action. The consultancy will be undertaken with support from the Mediterranean Trust Fund (MTF), as well as from the French Environment and Energy Management Agency ADEME.
The consultancy will build on previous work and partnerships developed by Plan Bleu, while leading to more practical recommendations on a least two sectors: (i) sustainable tourism, with a focus on cruise and recreational boating; (ii) sustainable aquaculture. Each sector will be considered in the perspective of a future sustainability transition.
Objectives of the consultancy
The 2020-2021 programme of work adopted by the Contracting Parties to the Barcelona Convention in Naples on December 2019 provides for the implementation of strategic activities on the Blue Economy, leading to the preparation of concrete recommendations for scaling-up and mainstreaming promising innovations to foster a sustainability transition in the region, in particular through methodological documents on cruise and recreational boating including potential guidelines. More precisely, the consultancy aims at:
- Providing senior advice to Plan Bleu on sustainable tourism;
- Preparing a first draft of regional guidelines on cruise and recreational boating, using inter alia the findings of BlueBoatsMed project;
- Identifying key levers and critical steps for a transition towards sustainable aquaculture in the Mediterranean;
- Operationalizing and broadening recommendations identified in Plan Bleu 2020 report on the Blue Economy, based on a broader range of projects and project results, and with an increased focus on the conditions for mainstreaming important innovations (including technical, governance, policy, economic innovations, etc.); proposing strategic yet concrete activities on the Blue Economy to be recommended for the future UNEP MAP 2022-2027 Medium Term Strategy (MTS), including on sustainable tourism, and contribute to the identification and preparation of at least two project applications on this basis.
Application files must include:
- A Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A list of relevant experiences on Blue Economy and/or Sustainable Tourism (if not already detailed on the CV above)
- A short technical proposal (in no more than 5 pages)
- Names of at least two reference persons that could be contacted for feedback on previous achievements
- An economic offer
- A consultant fiscal number or SIRET (as applicable in the country of residence)
The selection process may include interviews (through Skype or phone), as well as a pre-selection phase followed by requests for complementary information / negotiation if required.